Biotin – Secret Weapon to Re-Grow & Keep your Hair Strong
Hair loss affects men and women equally. As people grow older, the hair gets thinner.
Sometimes, young people start experiencing these symptoms early in their age.
According to this most of the baldness people comes from these countries. Does it mean geographic location effects hair loss problem? Who knows? maybe or maybe not. If this is the case then I feel sorry for Czech Republic people because they in the top place in the list and surprisingly USA is in the top 10 list just after the UK!
Apart from the geographic effect, there are many causes for hair loss, some of which we discussed later in the article.
There are many treatments available in the market – some work and some don’t – the results change with the person. So, it is impossible to decide if a treatment actually works or not.
Before taking any kind of “miraculous” pill, professionals recommend the consumption of vitamins.
Humans receive all the nutrients they need from food but sometimes supplements are necessary.
Biotin, also known as vitamin B7 or vitamin H is a supplement water-soluble. It is one of the best vitamins to improve the health of the hair, nails and skin.
How Does Biotin Works?
The hair has a component called keratin. This protein makes the hair stronger. It is common to hear about treatments with keratin. Especially for people that dyed their hair or applied any kind of change.
Biotin improves the keratin in the body. It increases the amino acid production. More amino acids translate into stronger proteins. Keratin is the main protein in the hair, nail and skin. Hair loss happens when the hair is too thin and weak. Biotin prevents this by boosting the proteins.
Sources of Biotin
Like many vitamins, biotin is present in food. Humans consume biotin on a regular basis. Some of the foods richest in biotin are:
- Egg yolks
Those that rather take the vitamins from a natural source should consider this foods. Weight loss is not the only benefit of a balanced diet. If a person consumes better food it will show on their hair, nails and skin.
Get bananas and nuts as a treat between meals. These foods do not require any kind of preparation. Also, it is better to consume fruits and nuts than protein bars. These are made with sugar and artificial ingredients. Sugar is, probably, the most dangerous substance for the human body.
People want to be sure about the amount of biotin they are consuming. These people would rather to take pills. Vitamin H supplements are available for purchase without prescription. Before buying a brand, find reviews. Some brands may not have the results they announce.
It is never too soon to take biotin supplements. A 3 year old children could take supplements. For younger people the dosage should be smaller. It should not exceed the 20 mcg (micrograms). Once the children becomes 5, the dosage could be increased to 25 mcg.
People older than 10 can take 30 mcg on a daily basis. The older the person gets, they could increase the dosage up to 100 mcg. This rise should be based on needs. Before taking too much biotin, talk to a professional about other options. Complementing the pills is a better option than taking high dosages.
Biotin Side Effects
As with anything if we provide something excessive, instead of doing good for your hair it can start showing you some side effects. Same formula applies here, if you take more biotin then needed it will start showing inverse effects.
According to this, excessive intake of biotin can have these side effects:
- May Cause Acne
- May Cause Allergic Reactions
- Effects During Pregnancy
- Frequency Of Urination
- May Cause Diarrhea
- May Increase Blood Glucose Levels
- Drug Interactions
- Eosinophilic Pleuropericardial Effusion
- May Cause Acute Respiratory Problems
Does Biotin Work For Hair Growth?
In 2015, a research center in the United States performed a study with pills rich in biotin. The goal was to test the efficiency of the supplements and its effect on people with thin hair.
The subjects were women between 21 and 65 years old. Every subject had signs of thinning hair. They also experienced hair loss when they washed their heads.
The women were separated in two groups.
- Group 1: Received the supplement rich in biotin. They took it orally, two times every day.
- Group 2: The control group took placebo pills.
After 90 days, the researchers had their results. Women in group 1 had signs of hair growth in the affected areas. Subjects from both group washed their heads and the fallen hair was counted. Women in group 2 had a bigger count.
Labs try to prove that biotin actually help the hair growth. Similar studies had the same results. It is clear that biotin supplements increase the health of the hair. Some may consider that this studies are not enough. Those that deny the results are yet to prove that biotin does not work.
Based on the studies we discussed above we can assume that Biotin does work for hair growth.
What Is Causing The Hair Loss?
Before trying to improve the hair growth, it is necessary to understand the causes. Hair loss is an affection for both men and women.
In females it is not as noticeable. Because of that, people do not openly discuss it.
For women with drastic hair loss, this condition affects their self-esteem.
Some of the most common causes for hair loss are:
- Stress: This is a silent killer. People that with high levels of stress soon start experiencing physical symptoms. Pain and hair loss are some of the most common tells.
- Not enough protein: Human bodies are smart machines. If it does not receives the right amounts of a resource, it starts rationing. Those with low protein consumption levels experience hair loss. The body does not consider hair growth necessary for survival.
- Heritage: Sadly, baldness can be inherit. In women is not obvious. However, they experience extreme hair loss on a regular basis.
- Excessive vitamin A: Anything in excess is damaging for the body, including vitamins. Those that consume supplements on a regular basis should consider reducing the dosage.
- Birth control: Birth control has many secondary effects. One of the most obvious is hair loss. The constant hormonal change affects the proteins in the hair.
How to Reduce the Hair Loss?
With the exception of inherited conditions, the causes for hair loss are easy to change.
- Meditation: Reduces the stress levels and as result, the hair loss. Stress also affects the skin.
- Balanced diet: Healthy food will give all the nutrients a person needs.
- Controlled consumption of supplements: Taking too many supplements is not healthy. Filling the body with too many things at once is dangerous. Not only it is physically obvious, the organs could be affected too. Instead of taking many pills, the person should consider a better diet.
- Biotin: The best option for people with hair loss. Biotin is completely natural. It targets the proteins making the hair stronger.