Collagen Hair Treatment – Everything You Need To Know
Collagen is the most abundant protein in the body, containing a variety of amino acids such as glycine, hydroxyproline, proline and arginine. This protein strengthens and improves not just the hair but skin, bones, joints, and so on.
However as we age, the body’s ability to produce collagen reduces. This affects the hair negatively, resulting in a loss in hair elasticity, hair color degradation and decrease in the overall vibrancy of the hair.
Collagen can be found in different parts of the body, particularly the joints.On the hair however, it is found near the hair bulb where it helps transport nutrients from the body to the hair.
As we age, this function reduces. To fix this, the collagen treatment was created.
It is quite similar to the hair Botox treatment, in that it is not a chemical treatment. Also, hair Botox treatments often contain collagen as an active ingredient to improve elasticity and hair volume.
A collagen hair treatment can be professionally done in a salon. The cost of getting it done varies but it could be as cheap as $75 or as expensive as $200.
Due to how expensive a one-time treatment can get, there are numerous DIY options that prove to be just as effective as one done professionally.
However, for a first-time treatment, we recommend getting it done in a salon. A professional would definitely know exactly what your hair needs and in the right quantity.
But before you move ahead get all the details about the treatment, pros and cons of, side effects and almost everything about it.
Collagen Hair Treatment Pros
- The hair is made up of proteins and collagen is essentially that. It fixes a lot of hair problems including frizz, split ends, dry and bristle strands, thinning hair, among others.
- Not only does it help in tackling these issues, it can also be used as a preventative treatment against developing any of the aforementioned hair problems.
- If you are looking to fix the health of your hair without the use of chemicals, a collagen treatment is the best choice. It does not contain formaldehyde which causes irritations and has been said to be a carcinogen.
- This protein treatment improves the health of your hair not only in the short run but in the long run as well. The more you use the treatment, the less you’d need to in the future.
Collagen Hair Treatment Cons
- A collagen hair treatment can be quite expensive, but as mentioned earlier, there are cheaper options for DIYs. On the other hand, it can be seen as a good investment in the health of your hair, seeing as it pays off in the long run.
- The treatment might be required to remain in your hair for at least 4 days before being washed off. Washing it off so early and often reduces the effect of the treatment. Having the product in for a long time might be uncomfortable. If your hair gets build-up easily, you might not be keen on having to wash your hair infrequently.
- Also, the treatment is a temporary fix as it only lasts a couple of months, optimally between 2-4 months.
- Although collagen treatments are safe, a client might experience allergic reactions to the ingredients used. This is why we recommend getting it professionally done.
Frequently asked questions about collagen hair treatment
Is collagen hair treatment safe?
Yes collagen hair treatment is safe but it does have some side effect if the person is allergic to any ingredients found in the product used in collagen hair treatment.
What are collagen hair treatment pros and cons?
The pros and cons of collagen hair treatment is already mentioned above.
How long does a Collagen treatment last?
The treatments last 2-4 months at most and is extremely beneficial for your hair, especially for people with frizzy and dry hair because the treatment reduces frizz, prevent breakages, and strengthen your hair from the root to the tip.
What is the cost of doing collagen treatment at salon?
The cost is varies from salon to salon, but normally it will cost you around $75 to $200.
Can we do collagen hair treatment at home?
Yes off course, this is an alternative solution if you do not want to spend $$ in salon.